I’m trying to remember when I first started putting together a “Life-Time To Do List”. Some people refer to it as a “Bucket List”.
For some reason I keep finding notes and list I created years ago. When I remember something or stumble across an article it triggers that message in the back of my mind that I have a list someplace, and that I need to add to.
I’ve decided I need to put all these ideas into one place instead of all these random notes I have scattered across notebooks, random sheets of paper and notes I randomly find.
The goal of this article is to keep track of all the items in one central place. Thus we have “Dave Gates Life-Time To-do”, or Bucket List.
Bucket List Definition
Bucket List – A list of things to do before you die. That is the short answer and one that I have referred to over the years.
Now that I’ve actually sat down and taken the time to reflect on it.
For the purposes of this article I’ll refer to it as my To-Do List / Bucket list.
For my list I’m including old stuff as well as new stuff. Some of the items I’ve already done others I’m wondering if they are even practical at this point in my life, but I’m listing it all. It’s in no particular order, it’s just a list.
How many of these have you done? Care to share your thoughts or comments on any of the following? By all means, please comment and share. Have a list of your own? I’d love to see it.
Dave Gates To-Do list / Bucket list
As this list grows I’ve found it easier to break it down into different categories. So far hiking and traveling have been at the top of my list.
- Triple Crown: triple crown long distance hiker. For those who are not familiar with the Triple-Crown, it’s someone who has hiked all three of the following trails. Appalachian Trail (AT), Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), and Continental Divide Trail (CDT). The American Long Distance Hiking Association – West, issues reward plaques for this remarkable achievement. My dream and plan is to join this list.
- Thru-hike the Appalachian Trail (Completed in 2007).
- Thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail (Completed in 2010).
- Thru-hike the Continental Divide Trail. (Attempted and failed in 2013). Start planning for next attempt.
- Hike the John Muir Trail (JMT) in California
- Thru-hike or section the Ice Age Trail (IAT) in Wisconsin.
- Thru-hike the Long Trail in Vermont.
- Hike the Camino in Spain.
- Hike up Angles Landings, Zion NP (done)
- Thru-hike the River-to-River Trail in southern IL.
- Hike the Tahoe Rim Trail.
- Thru-hike the Te-Agora trail in New Zealand.
- Thru-hike Superior Trail in MN
- Thru-hike the Florida Trail.
- Hike the North County Trail.
- Hike the American Discovery Trail.
- Hike to Leconte lodge and spend a few nights in the Smoky Mountains.
- Hike Mount Kilimanjaro.
- Hike Yosemite Falls Trail.
- Hike the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier.
- White water rafting the New River Gorge, West Virginia. (Done)
- White water rafting the Gauley River, West Virginia. (Done)
- White water rafting the Arkansas river in Colorado. (Done)
- Raft the Colorado river through the Grand Canyon multiple day trip.
- Kayak Baja California Mexico. (done)
- Kayak the Apostles islands.
- Kayak around Greece islands.
- Drive the Road to hana in Hawaii with my family. Mom & Dad did this with us.
- Drive a classic car the entire length of old Route 66.
- Drive the coast in California 101
- Vacation in Fiji and stay in one of those grass roof cabins on the ocean water.
- Visit the Post Office Museum in Washington DC.
- Visit Michael Scragg’s post office in Michigan. (Done)
- Backpack around Europe. Stay in hostels along the way.
- Visit hobbit town in New Zeland with the the kids.
- Visit Copper canyon in Mexico.
- Visit and walk on the Great Wall in China.
- Visit Australia to see kangaroos and pandas.
- Visit Alaska and see glaciers and the caribou migration
- Visit France and have dinner at rich mans house, NPR special.
- Visit Appalachian Trail, Trail angels.
- Visit Pacific Crest Trail, Trail angels.
- Travel and backpack around Asia and Singapore.
- Visit the Galápagos Islands.
- Visit Easter Island, Moai.
- Visit Stonehenge. (Done)
- Northern lights in Iceland.
- Explore the temples of Angkor Wat, Cambodia
- Set foot in Antarctica, visit penguins.
- Swim with sharks. Maldives. Or watch great whites in Baja California. Mexico.
- Visit Norway Fjords.
- African safari, witness Serengeti migration.
- Leinenkugel Brewery tour (Done)
- Anheuere Busch Brewery tour (Done)
- Jameson Distillery tour (Done)
- Coke Tour in Atlanta Georgia.
- Volunteer and participate on a trail building crew. (Done Ice Age Trail 2012)
- Volunteer for Earthwatch (2005 Moose & Wolves Project)
- Volunteer for breast cancer 3-day walk.
- Volunteer at our local food bank.
- Visit all – 1,200+ post offices in the United States that have New Deal art and document them.
- Visit Brazil and the Pantanal. Visit or participate in a volunteer project.
- Visit Patagonia, Hike the Hight Route.
- Own a convertible sports car (done 2001) 2001 Pontiac Trans AM WS6 Navy Blue Metallic.
- Visit Stonehenge in England (done 2005)
- Visit Ireland, drink Guinness with the locals (done).
- Visit Peru and hike to Machu Picchu (done)
- Visit Mount Rushmore National Memorial (done)
- Visit as many national parks as I can with my family. Fill up my National Parks Stamp Book.
- Scuba dive (done), Tried the class when I was younger but didn’t like it.
- Grow my own food, and have a nice garden. Grew corn and beans in 2013.
- Own my own single family home (done).
- Own and operate an indie book publishing business.
- Become a best selling author.
- Self publish several books.
- Become financially independent and financially removed from a “day” job.
- Own and train a German Shepard.
- Remodel my existing single family house.
- Visit Eldon, IA and take my picture in front of the American Gothic House (Done 2012)
- Become fluent in Spanish. Study in Mexico.
- Visit the Lincoln Museum In Springfield, IL (Done, 2009)
- Take a cruise, Norwegian Cruise Lines (Done, birthday in 2011)
- Go dog mushing from Yurt to Yurt, Northern Canada.
- Hang glide
- Paragliding (Done 2010 at Torey Pines CA)
- Have kids. Done
- Ride in a Hot Air Balloon. Kentucky balloon festival, or across Cappadocia, Turkey.
- Spend the night in a castle.
- Whale Watching, Kayaking Baja California (done)